Sally’s Blog: Kings and Queens since 1760
Since Whiteleys started in 1760, there have been eight Kings and two Queens covering 263 years, and we are still making scissors.
- George the Second. 1727 – 1760 (when Whiteleys started)
- George the Third 1760 – 1820
- George the Fourth 1820 – 1830
- William the Fourth 1830 – 1837
- Victoria the First 1837 – 1901
- Edward the Seventh 1936 – 1952
- Elizabeth the Second 1952 – 2022
- Charles the Third 2022 – present
We made scissors for Queen Victoria, as mentioned above; two pairs were made and one is in the Royal Collection, the other is here at Whiteleys.
We also made scissors for Queen Elizabeth the Second, who asked her lady-in-waiting to keep them in her handbag so that she could take them to Balmoral, rather than put them in the Royal collection.